Many sections of the Northwest are dry for this time of year. According to the latest USDA figures, 40% of Washington is considered Abnormally Dry, while nearly 23% of the state is under the D1, or Moderate Drought, designation. Those designations are found exclusively in Central Washington, stretching from the Columbia River to the Canadian border.
Only 15% of Oregon is on par for this time of year, and most of that is in the NE corner of the state. As for the rest of the states, nearly 85% of Oregon is Abnormally Dry, while over 56% is under a Moderate Drought. And now 8% of the state is under a Severe Drought; that entire D2 designation is located in SW Oregon.
Meanwhile in Idaho, most of the state, 65% is where is should be soil moisture wise for this time of year. The drought figures, which remain unchanged this week, impacting the south central portion of the Gem State.
If you have a story idea for the Washington Ag Network, call (509) 547-1618, or e-mail [email protected]